Read Philippians 2:12-13 in a few different translations
- Discuss what it means to “work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” Also look up 1 Cor. 2:3 and Psalm 2:11 where this phrase occurs also. If you want to discuss more on how to approach our transcendent God, look up Isaiah 66:1-2 and Hebrews 12: 28-29.
- Verse 13 tells us that God is also working in us to accomplish our salvation. Discuss how our efforts relate to God’s work in us.
Read Philippians 2: 14-16 in a few different translations
- Paul immediately gives an example of working out their salvation that fits the Philippians situation: “do all things without grumbling and disputing.” Brainstorm how grumbling and disputing retard our spiritual growth to Christlikeness.
- Discuss what it means to be “blameless and innocent” in this life and why Paul wants us to be pursue this?
- In verse 16, what does it mean to “holding fast to the Word of Life,” and why is Paul worried that he might have run in vain when it comes to the Philippians’ faith?